Local fireworks manufacturers use cow, horse or carabao manure as an extender in their fireworks. Animal feces in fireworks is nothing new and the Department of Health's main concern is getting the word out- besides amputation and severe injuries one may get from a firework blast, there is also the danger of Tetanus.
Big or small injuries from firecracker blasts should not be ignored, Tetanus is a lethal infectious disease due to wounds exposed to the bacteria Clostridium tetani. After exposure from a firecracker blast, the powder or residue containing animal feces will seep into the wound and fester. A Tetanus infection erupts after a few days when spores of bacteria produce the deadly toxin tetanospasmin that affects the muscles causing the main sign of Tetanus which is lockjaw and muscle spasms. The muscle spasms can cause respiratory distress leading to death.